Three Signs That It May Be Time for Water Heater Replacement
Nothing lasts forever––and that also goes for water heaters. Standard storage water heaters only last around 10 to 15 years. But how can homeowners know when it may be time for a replacement? Here are some common signs that water heater replacement is needed.
- A rusted tank compromises the entire unit’s integrity: With a corroded water heater, homeowners could find themselves dealing with chronic leaks, low water pressure, and high energy bills.
- It can lead to water damage: As noted, a rusted storage tank can cause leaks. This does more than wastewater. It can also damage homeowners’ property, including flooring and sideboards.
- Rust can lead to safety hazards: Rust can damage the tank’s integrity, causing the system to leak or burst and flood the home. This does more than damage property. If the water comes into contact with electricity, there could also be an electrical hazard, making the home unsafe.
It Doesn’t Heat Water as Well
There’s no use in having a hot water heater if it doesn’t do its job properly. While some reasons for cold, lukewarm water, or hot water that runs out quicker are fixable, some issues causing them may warrant replacing the entire system. A plumber can determine the best solution for the water heater. Some possible causes of water heating issues include:
- There’s an issue with the heating element: While this component could be replaced, if the system itself is more than 10 years old, it’s more cost-effective to just replace it. Water heater life expectancy plays a critical role in when it’s time to replace it.
- There’s a problem with the pilot light: The pilot light turns on the heating element and heats the water inside the tank. If there’s something wrong with the pilot light, chances are, there are other components that need replacing.
- There are gas supply problems: Many water heaters rely on gas to operate. If there’s a gas leak, not only does this make a home unsafe, but it can affect how the appliances that use them operate.
It’s Old or Constantly Needs Repairs
It’s not uncommon for a water heater to need repairs now and then. Yet, if it always seems like a plumber is needed to fix a problem with it, this could warrant replacing the system. It can save money since older water heaters are less energy efficient, and the repair and energy costs add up.
Additionally, if a traditional storage water heater is past the 10-year mark or a tankless water heater is nearing the 20-year mark, it should be replaced. This can be beneficial as a new energy-efficient water heater will cost less to operate, and homeowners won’t have to deal with the problems of an aging water heater or a loss of hot water.
About Scott Plumbing
Scott Plumbing is a local family-owned business serving Huntsville and the surrounding areas. They offer straightforward pricing, same-day service, and always on-time service. Call them today for water heater installation and repair services in Huntsville, AL.